Procrastination-What is it what can I do about it?
The diet that you can’t get into…. delaying writing the cv……looking for that better job…...talking to your teenager……addressing a relationship……taking steps to dealing with any difficult issue?
Does this sound familiar? How can you move forward?
The first step is just to be a bit kinder to yourself, most of us put off things at some point in our lives, the way forward is to firstly recognise that you are procrastinating, understand why and then put in place some positive steps to move forward.
You may be procrastinating if you see yourself:
- Getting up late
- Always in a hurry
- Easily distracted
- Becoming bored
- Making excuses
- Setting unrealistic goals
- Difficulty concentrating
- Choosing to do other things
Why do we procrastinate? Often it is around fear of:
- Making a mistake
- Losing respect
- Being rejected
- Being embarrassed
- Making a bad decision
- Not knowing enough
- Not being able to find out
- Missing something
How can you begin to help yourself?
- Note your critical voice
- Identify your fear
- Break down what needs to be done in small steps
- Do background research
- Look at options for acquiring the skill you require
- Choose the first easy step
- If one way not working, try another
- Block time out
- Be realistic
- Set a deadline earlier than necessary
- Be accountable to someone else
- Eliminate distractions
- Reward yourself
- Practice relaxation skills
Sometimes though, we need some help to get started, please get in touch if I can support you to move forward